Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
1940s Weekend - Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd September
NEW for 2018! Step back to the 1940s and experience Home Front life in wartime Britain during the Second World War.
Andrews House station will feature Second World War posters and music. Men and women in period uniforms and civilian clothing will complement the authenticity of the weekend.
Steam locomotives and rolling stock of pre-WWII vintage will be in operation throughout the weekend.
Confirmed for the event so far;
- The Victory in Europe Re-enactment Association will be joining us in period uniforms and with a display of WWII artefacts and memorabilia.
- RAF Warrant Officer with a 1948 Rover P3 - see an Air Gunner get dressed for work, from long johns to parachute!
- Railway Transportation Officer, Royal Engineers display - at Andrews House station visit a Railway Transport Officer's desk area, complete with typewriter, field telephone, books and paperwork, message board, blackboard and sand bags.
- Make sure to complete your 1940s-look with a Victory Roll hairstyle (small charge applies) by Hepkat Kitten Vintage Hairstyling.
- 1940's American Field Camp with 1944 American GMC 353 CCKW. Adults in WW2 American Uniforms and Children in 1940's clothing.
- Second World War vehicles.
Standard fares apply. Tanfield Unlimited Tickets valid.
Would you like to join us in period clothing, or with a display or vehicle? We'd love to hear from you! Please fill out the application form below and we'll be back in touch.
Please note, only home front and allied forces will be allowed on site during the event.
19 August 2018