Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
We welcome well-behaved dogs to the Tanfield Railway... best of all, dogs travel FREE!
Here's some useful information for dog owners to help during their visit:
- Dogs are permitted to travel on our trains, free of charge, but we kindly ask that they don't sit on the carriage seats.
- Please keep your dog on a lead and accompany them at all times.
- Tommy Armstrong's Tea Room at East Tanfield station and Pontop Canteen within Marley Hill carriage shed are both dog friendly. We kindly ask that when sitting in these areas that you use the tables and chairs within the waiting room at East Tanfield station or the furthest most tables and chairs away from the serving area at Pontop Canteen.
- Dog bowls are provided at East Tanfield station, Andrews House station and Pontop Canteen - if they need topping up, please ask one of our volunteers and they will be more than happy to help you.
- Due to the confined area within Andrews House station refreshment room, assistance dogs are only allowed with this building. Dogs are allowed within the waiting room (undercover) and the station garden which is on the platform.
- Due to the busy nature of our evening events, Tanfield Ghost trains and North Pole Express trains, only assistance dogs are permitted during these operating dates.
- Only assistance dogs are permitted to travel on our Director's class carriage and Afternoon Tea train.
- There are a number of walks for dogs and dog owners to enjoy during their visit to the railway, including a 2 mile walk from East Tanfield station to Causey Arch station and a 1 mile walk from Sunniside station to Andrews House station. Please ask one of our friendly volunteers and they will be able to help you pick a suitable walk.
Photo - K.Thomas
23 February 2020