Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
NEW for 2018! RUN IT WEEKEND - 13th & 14th October 2018
Anything that can run, will run... all of our operational home fleet steam locomotives will be in service hauling various trains and rolling stock.
Locomotives in service will be:
- National Coal Board, No.49 - recently returned to service from overhaul
- Sir Cecil. A. Cochrane
- Keighley Corporation Gas Dept. No.2
- Joicey Collieries No.3, Twizell
- A. Reyrolle & Co. No.2 (shunt release duties)
Travel on various trains including our freight train and Victorian passenger train. There will also be the opportunity to travel on board our recently restored carriage, N.C.B A15.
Normal ticket fares apply.
Other exciting things to see and do at the railway include:
- See Marley the Pit Pony at East Tanfield station hauling a pit tub on our demonstration 2 foot gauge railway.
- Take a look at vintage vehicles at East Tanfield station, including classic cars courtesy of Sunderland & District Classic Vehicle Society, a vintage bicycle display and road steam vehicles - 1923 built Armstrong Whitworth roller 'Albert' and 1929 built Tarmac Sentinel DG8 Steam Waggon.
- Within East Tanfield station, visit some of our volunteers and find out the various volunteering roles and opportunities available at the railway.
- Take a look inside the World's oldest engine shed - enjoy a guided tour starting from Marley Hill carriage shed at various times between 11am and 3pm. Also, see our Consett wheel lathe in action.
- Tuck in to tasty hot and cold refreshments from Pontop Canteen in Marley Hill carriage shed, and from the Tommy Armstrong tea room at East Tanfield station. A selection of cold refreshments are available from Andrews House station.
- Take a ride on our ride-on freight train (no extra charge) - please see timetable.
Fish and Chip Special - Saturday 13th October, 5.30pm :: Join us at 5.30pm on Saturday 13th October and tuck into some tasty fish and chips whilst travelling along the World's oldest railway! Tickets £15 per person. Click here to find out more and buy tickets.
Please note, Tanfield Railway reserves the right to amend or cancel any of the programme without prior advertisement.
21 October 2018